Having questions before a plastic or cosmetic surgery procedure is completely normal. Patients need to understand the nature of the surgical procedure to be performed and discuss with their surgeon any questions or concerns that they may have.
It is for this reason that we would like to share with you some points that should be taken into account before taking this important step:
1 Preoperative lab tests:
Before performing any surgical procedure, the surgeon must ensure that his patient is healthy or in optimal conditions that allow the surgery to be carried out with the least possible risks. The laboratory studies that may be required will depend on the characteristics of the patient (this is why it is important to know their medical history). The most common tests that are requested are:
· CBC: Provides important information that helps to know the hemoglobin levels.
· Clotting times: Shows the clotting ability of the blood, it is important to prevent excessive bleeding.
· Cardiological Assessment: It is mainly requested when the patient is over 45 years old, it is necessary to know the health status of the heart.
There are patients who have pre-existing medical conditions, so it is important that these conditions are under control before proceeding with any surgery. On some occasions the surgeon will request an authorization letter from the specialist who takes care of the patient's medical care.
2 Preoperative recommendations:
Although the surgeon will provide specific recommendations prior to surgery, some of the most common and that you should take into account are the following:
· Try to eat healthy and balanced.
· Do not consume alcoholic or soft drinks.
· Avoid smoking for at least 3 weeks before surgery, to improve wound healing.
· Do not take aspirin or vitamin E.
3 Ideal procedures:
Patient safety is the most important thing for us, it is for this reason that an evaluation consultation with a certified surgeon is necessary, who will suggest the procedures indicated for the patient. This will depend on the needs of your body and the results you expect.
If the specialist recommends weight or lifestyle modifications, it is to achieve the best results and reduce the risk of complications during surgery.
The days after the surgery will require important care, it is recommended not to make many movements or efforts, so being accompanied will always be a good option. Some of the things to keep in mind about postoperative care are the following:
· Wear your post-op garments every day for at least two months or the time indicated by the specialist.
· Have a healthy and balanced diet.
· Daily healing of the wound and change of gauze pads.
· Take only the medications prescribed by the doctor.
· Go to your postoperative consultation (scheduled).
· Keep resting.
5 Be sure that you are making the decision to get surgery for yourself and yourself only and remember,
the results are not immediate, be patient.